LAST UPDATED May 19, 2023
2. WHAT TYPES OF INFORMATION DOES HYRECAR GATHER ABOUT ITS USERS? When you visit or use the Platform, we collect the information you provide, usage information, information about your device, and information related to your car rentals. We also collect information about you from other sources like third party services, and optional programs in which you participate. We may combine the information we collect with other information we have about you. Here are the types of information we collect and use about you.
a. Information that you give us
Information that you make available to us when using our Platform. Examples include:
Account Registration. Information provided when you fill in any form on the Platform such as your name, email address, physical address, phone number, birthday, and payment information.
Driver Information. If you apply to be a Driver, we will collect the information you provide in your application, including information such as your name, email address, phone number, birth date, biometric information (such as a profile photo), physical address, government identification number (such as social security number), and driver’s license information. We may also collect the payment information you provide us, including your bank routing numbers, and credit card information. Depending on where you want to drive, we may also ask for additional information, such as business license or permit information. When you use the Platform to rent a car as a Driver, we will also collect information about that rental, such as the car you rented, the dates of your rental, and any feedback received from the Owner regarding the rental.
Owner Information. Your owner listing page includes information such as the city and neighborhood where the vehicle is located, your listing description, your calendar availability, your public profile photo, your responsiveness in replying to Drivers’ queries, and any additional information you share with other Users via the Platform. Your public listing page may also include aggregated demand information (such as number of page views over a period of time). Parts of your public vehicle listing page may be displayed in other parts of the Platform to other Users and/or third parties for marketing purposes. The Platform may also display the vehicle’s approximate geographic location on a map, such that a User can see the general location of the vehicle. When you use the Platform to rent your car as an Owner, we will also collect information about that rental, such as the car VIN and license plate of the car, the rental dates, and any feedback received from the Driver of the car regarding the rental.
Ratings, Feedback & Communications. When you rate and provide feedback about Owners, Drivers, or us, we collect the information you provide in your feedback, including post comments and reviews. Similarly, when you communicate with HyreCar or another User through the Platform, we collect any information that you provide, including the contents of any messages or attachments.
Third Party Sites. When you link your account on a third party site (e.g. Facebook) to your HyreCar account, we will obtain the information that you provide to the third party site, to the extent allowed by your settings with the third party site.
b. Information We Get When You Use the Platform
We also obtain information when you use the Platform, such as when you search for, view, or post vehicles; make or accept bookings, pay for rentals, use coupons or promotional codes; book or pay for any associated services that may be available, such as but not limited to cleaning.
Communications between Owners and Drivers. We work with a third party to facilitate phone calls and text messages between Owners and Drivers without sharing either party’s actual phone number with the other. While we use a third party to provide the communication service, we collect information about these communications, including the participants’ phone numbers, the date and time, and the contents of SMS messages. For security purposes, we may also monitor or record the contents of phone calls made through the Platform, but we will always let you know we are about to do so before the call begins.
Mobile Data. When you use our mobile applications we may obtain different types of information about your location, including general information (e.g. IP address, zip code) and more specific information (e.g. GPS-based location functionality). If you access the Platform through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with location tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this. See your device’s instructions for further details.
Log Data. We may also obtain and use log data, which is information that is automatically recorded by our servers whenever you access the Platform, regardless of whether you are registered with HyreCar or logged in to your HyreCar Account. Log data may include information such as your IP Address, the date and time you access the Platform, the hardware and software you are using, referring and exit pages and URLs, the number of clicks, device event information, pages viewed and the order of those pages, and the amount of time spent on particular pages.
c. Information We Get from Third Parties
Third Party Social Plugins. Our Platform may use social plugins which are provided and operated by third parties, such as Facebook’s “Like” Button. Through these plugins, you may send third parties information that you are viewing on a certain part of our Platform. If you are not logged into your account with the third party, then the third party may not know your identity. If you are logged into your account with the third party, then the third party may be able to link information about your visit to our Platform to your account with them. Similarly, your interactions with the social plugin may be recorded by the third party.
Third Party Services. Third party services provide us with information needed for core aspects of the Platform, as well as for additional services, programs, and promotions that can enhance your experience or provide you with helpful resources. These third party service providers include background check providers, insurance partners, financial service providers, tax service providers, ride sharing providers, marketing providers, and other businesses. Please refer to the specific third party’s policies to find out more about its data practices.
Data. Our platform may provide you the option for you to provide us access to your profile, usage history, and other information about you held by Rideshare Companies (“Rideshare History”). If you consent, a third-party service provider will request your credentials to the applicable Rideshare Companies to allow access to your Rideshare History.
Telematics & Connected Car Data. If you rent a car that has telematic technology installed or have telematic applications through your mobile device, in addition to the companies providing those applications, such as the vehicle manufacturer, we may receive vehicle and driver performance data such as driving speeds, g-force, GPS location, direction of travel, trip information, distance traveled, vehicle diagnostics, driver behavior, fuel consumption, date and time information for when this information was recorded, and other types of vehicle usage data that may be provided by those telematic applications (“Connected Car Data”). Some or all of the Connected Card Data may be on all the time, even when the vehicle is turned off. The privacy practices of the owners or companies providing telematic applications and Connected Car Data will be subject to their own privacy policies.
Other Uses and Sources. Other users, public sources, and third party sources such as law enforcement, insurers, media, or other individuals may provide us information about you, for example as part of an investigation into an incident, to provide you support, or with your consent.
3. HOW HYRECAR USES YOUR INFORMATION
a. Contact Information. We may use your contact information, such as your email address, phone number to create or customize your account or to enable certain account features, and for login verification. If you provide us with your email address, or phone number, you agree to receive emails to that email address and text messages to that phone number, as the case may be. We may use your contact information to send you information about our Platform, to market to you, and to help prevent spam, fraud, to collect an unpaid balance, or abuse. We may use biometric information you submit (such as a photo) for identification verification and fraud prevention.
b. User Communications. We may, either directly or through third parties, review, scan, or analyze your communications with other Users exchanged via the Platform for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, the Platform may scan and analyze messages and attachments to mask contact information and references to other websites. This helps to prevent fraudulent actors from asking Users to send them money or information outside of the Platform. We may also scan, review or analyze messages for research and product development purposes to help make search, booking and User communications more efficient and effective, as well as to debug, improve and expand product offerings. By using the Platform, you consent that HyreCar, in its sole discretion, may, either directly or through third parties, review, scan, analyze, and store your communications, whether done manually or through automated means.
c. Rideshare History. We may use your Rideshare History, including, without limitation, Rideshare Company platforms used, earnings by Rideshare Company platform, drivers' license data, trip data, vehicle rental history, ratings, and customer satisfaction scores, to confirm that you hold an active account and are in good standing with a Rideshare Company, to assist with fraud prevention and risk assessment, and to help improve the booking process.
d. Connected Car Data. If the vehicle is equipped with telematic devices, we may use Connected Car Data for some or all of these purposes: (i) to provide certain aspects of our services to you e.g. assist with a remote lock/unlock, disable engine/cancel ignition; (ii) to automatically transmit vehicle data such as location, odometer, fuel level and other data during the rental; (iii) to manage your car rental e.g. start your rental, exchange car; (iv) to enable us to better understand how our cars are being used; (v) to assist in the handling of any liability or property damage claims; (vi) to provide roadside assistance services; (vii) to assist in the recovery of cars which are overdue, lost, or reported stolen, or suspected of being lost or stolen; (viii) when we have a good faith belief that there is an emergency that poses a threat to your safety or the safety of another person, or in other circumstances in which we reasonably believe our cars are being or have been used in violation of law or otherwise in the commission of a crime; and (ix) to comply with law.
e. We Generally Use Your Information to:
- enable you to access and use the Platform;
- enable you to connect and communicate with other Users, including but not limited to by sending them messages or other information during the vehicle booking process;
- operate, protect, improve, and optimize the Platform, HyreCar’s business, and our Users’ experience;
- perform analytics, conduct research, personalize, or otherwise customize your experience
- collect feedback to provide customer service;
- calculate listing and services prices;
- help create and maintain a trusted and safer environment on the Platform, through detection and prevention of actual and potential fraud and other harmful activity;
- conduct investigations and risk assessments;
- enforce our Terms of Service, other policies, and agreements;
- verify listings and driver identifications, conduct checks against government databases and other information sources for fraud detection and prevention, risk assessment and harm prevention purposes;
- send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and other information;
- send you marketing, advertising, and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information about HyreCar, our services, or general promotions for partner campaigns and services;
- administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by HyreCar or our third party business partners;
- improve the Platform by performing research, testing, and analysis;
- develop new products, features, partnerships, and services;
- prevent, find, and resolve software or hardware bugs and issues;
- monitor and improve our operations and processes, including security practices, and algorithms; and
- comply with our legal and regulatory obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our Users, and enforce our agreements with third parties.
4. HOW HYRECAR SHARES YOUR INFORMATION
a. We share information we collect about you (including personal information) and your use of the Platform with our affiliated entities, including our parent company Getaround, Inc. and its subsidiaries.
b. Between Drivers and Owners. When a Driver requests to book a vehicle, the Driver’s information is passed through to the Owner of the vehicle. We may also disclose parts of the public profile of the Driver and Owner; other User reviews of the Driver and Owner; a Driver’s Rideshare History; and any additional information shared with other Users. We will not share your phone number unless there is a confirmed booking; if there is a confirmed booking, your phone number and email may become visible to the other party, who may contact you directly. When your request to book a vehicle is accepted by the Owner or when a Driver books your vehicle, we will disclose some of your information to the other party.
c. Shared with Third Parties. Depending on whether you’re an Owner or Driver, we may share the following categories of your personal information for a business purpose to provide you with a variety of the Platform’s features and services.
Your Information may be shared as described below:
- When an Owner accepts your request to book a vehicle, the Owner may elect to use third party services available through the Platform to assist with managing the vehicle, such as cleaning services and lock providers. The Owner may use features on the Platform to share information about the Driver with that third party service provider for the purposes of coordinating the pick-up, drop-off, or managing the vehicle.
- If you choose to provide a review, your review may be public on the Platform. Likewise, another User’s review of you as an Owner or Driver may be public on the Platform.
- You may link your account on a third party social networking site to your HyreCar Account. We refer to a person’s contacts on these third party sites as “Friends”. When you create this link, the following information from your accounts may be published on your HyreCar Account profile:
- your activities on the Platform may be displayed to your Friends on the Platform and/or that third party site;
- a link to your public profile on that third party social networking site may be included in your HyreCar public profile;
- other Users may be able to see any common Friends that you may have with them, or that you are a Friend of their Friend if applicable;
- other Users may be able to see any schools, hometowns or other groups you have in common with them as listed on your linked social networking site;
- the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be stored, processed and transmitted for fraud prevention and risk assessment purposes; and
- the publication and display of information that you provide to HyreCar through this linkage is subject to your settings and authorizations on the Platform and the third party site.
- Payment history may be shared with third party financial institutions and/or credit reporting agencies.
- We may distribute parts of the Platform (including your vehicle listing) for display on sites operated by HyreCar’s business partners, using technologies such as HTML widgets. If and when your vehicle listings are displayed on a partner’s site, information from your public profile page may also be displayed.
- HyreCar may provide your information, including phone number and email, to its partners, including without limitation, its payment processing partners, ride sharing companies, financing companies, third parties with whom we have a marketing relationship, and delivery companies, to use and process your information as detailed in the privacy policies of those companies and as necessary for the operation of the Platform.
- Our payment processing partner(s) and insurance carrier(s) may share your information for (i) their everyday business purposes; (ii) to jointly market products or services to you with other financial third parties with whom they have a formal agreement; and (iii) with respect to information about your transactions and experiences. This sharing will occur if you opt-in to receive marketing communications. Once you opt-in, you can always unsubscribe or opt-out from receiving marketing communications in the “Account” section once logged in to your HyreCar account.
- We may sell some of your information to third parties to provide you with information that you have requested while using the Platform. For example and without limitation, if you indicate that you are interested in purchasing a vehicle, we may provide Facebook Audience Insights, or other similar technology, information about you which those parties may process subject to their policies. This sharing will occur if you opt-in to the selling of your information to receive additional information from third parties. You may opt-out of the selling of your information as described in the Rights Regarding Your Information section below at any time.
- Insurance carriers may use your information, including Rideshare History, for coverage purposes and investigation of claims.
- We may also engage third parties to provide services to us, including but not limited to tax service providers, ride sharing companies, technology services, and services to help verify your identification, to help match the photo on your ID to other photos of yourself, to conduct checks against databases such as but not limited to public government databases, to otherwise assist us with fraud prevention and risk assessment, to assist us with customer service, to serve targeted ads, to provide you with information you’ve requested, to collect unpaid balances, and to facilitate the payments or reimbursements you request. For example, if we hire third parties, where permitted by applicable law, to conduct checks against databases such as but not limited to public government databases, we may provide your information, such as your full name and date of birth, to the third parties for the purpose of allowing them to conduct such background or registered sex offender checks.
- For any jurisdiction in which we facilitate the collection and remittance of taxes, Owners and Drivers expressly grant us permission, without further notice, to store, transfer and disclose data and other information relating to them or to their transactions, bookings, and similar information to the relevant tax authority.
- By renting a vehicle through the Platform, you consent to the sharing of the Connected Car Data with us, the owner of the vehicle, the vehicle manufacturer, and/or third party companies for purposes of diagnosing, monitoring and improving vehicle operations, performance, functionality, fuel efficiency, trip behavior, as necessary to provide the services, or as required by law. We may enter into agreements with manufacturers to receive Connected Car Data and may enter into agreements to have a third party to process Connected Car Data on our behalf.
- Text messaging originator opt-in data and consent will not be shared with any third parties without your consent.
d. For Legal or Regulatory Reasons. We may share your information if required to do so by law or in good faith belief that such access, preservation, or disclosure is reasonably necessary (i) to respond to claims asserted against HyreCar; (ii) to comply with legal process, including the legal process associated with national security and law enforcement; (iii) to enforce and administer our agreements and policies; (iv) for fraud prevention, risk assessment, investigation, customer support, product development and debugging purposes; or (v) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of HyreCar, its Users, business partners, third parties, or members of the public.
We will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify Users about law enforcement requests for their data unless:
- providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law;
- we believe that providing notice would (i) be futile, (ii) be ineffective, or (iii) would create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or (iv) create or increase a risk of fraud upon HyreCar’s property, its Users, and the Platform.
In instances where HyreCar complies with legal requests for User data without notice to the User for the reasons described above, HyreCar will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify that User about the request after the fact if we determine in good faith that we are no longer legally prohibited from doing so.
e. In Connection with Sale, Merger, or Other Business Transfer. If HyreCar undertakes or is involved in any merger, acquisition, reorganization, sale of assets or bankruptcy or insolvency event, then we may sell, transfer or share some or all of our assets, including your information.
5. RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR INFORMATION
a. Rights Applicable to All Users
Email Subscriptions. You can always unsubscribe from our commercial or promotional emails by clicking unsubscribe in those messages. However, even if you unsubscribe, we will still send you transactional emails about your use of the Platform.
Text Messages. You can opt out of receiving commercial or promotional text messages by texting “STOP” from the mobile device receiving the messages. Note that opting out of receiving all texts may impact your use of the Platform. To re-enable texts you can text “START” in response to an unsubscribe confirmation SMS.
Push Notifications. You can opt out of receiving app related push notifications through the app settings. Please note that opting out of receiving push notifications may impact your use of the Platform.
Profile Information. You can review and edit certain account information you have chosen to add to your profile by logging in to your account and updating your profile.
Location Information. You can prevent your device from sharing location information through your device’s system settings. But if you do, this may impact the Platform’s ability to provide you our full range of features and services.
Cookie Tracking. You can modify your cookie settings on your browser, but if you delete or choose not to accept our cookies, you may miss out on certain features of the Platform.
Do Not Track. Your browser may offer you a “Do Not Track” option, which allows you to signal to operators of websites and web applications and services that you do not want them to track your online activities. If you are a resident of a State whose laws require recognition of “Do Not Track” browser signals, we will treat that browser signal as your request to not sell or share your personal information, subject to the exceptions provided for under such laws.
Deleting Your Account. If you would like to delete your account, please send an email to email@example.com to request deletion of your data from the HyreCar system and any third party data repository that is controlled by HyreCar. Additionally, your data will be removed from all marketing lists generated by HyreCar. In some cases, we will be unable to delete your account, such as if there is an issue with your account related to trust, safety, or fraud. When we delete your account, we may retain certain information for legitimate business purposes or to comply with legal or regulatory obligations. For example, we may retain your information to resolve open insurance claims, or we may be obligated to retain your information as part of an open legal claim or law enforcement request. When we retain such data, we do so in ways designed to prevent its use for other purposes.
b. Rights Applicable to California Residents
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) provides some California residents with the additional rights listed below.
Right to Know. You have the right to know and see what data we have collected about you in the 12 months prior to our receipt of your verifiable request, including:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information is collected;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting your personal information;
- The category of third parties with whom we have shared your personal information; and
- The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
Right to Delete. You have the right to request that we delete the personal information we have collected from you. There are a number of exceptions, however, that include, but are not limited to, when the information is necessary for us or a third party to:
- complete your transaction and/or perform a contract between you and the business, for which the personal information was collected;
- provide you with the good or service you requested;
- detect security incidents, protect against improper activity, or prosecute those responsible for that improper activity;
- debug to identify and repair errors that impair Platform functionality
- exercise free speech or protect the free speech rights of you or other Users;
- comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act pursuant to Chapter 3.6 (commencing with Section 1546) of Title 132 of Part 2 of the Penal Code;
- engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interests that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws;
- enable internal uses reasonably aligned with the User’s expectations;
- comply with a legal obligation; or
- otherwise use the information, internally, in a lawful manner compatible with the context in which the User provided the information.
Other Rights. You can make a Right to Know request up to twice a year, free of charge. You also have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising any of the rights listed above.
Exercising Your California Privacy Rights. To request access to or deletion of your personal information, or to exercise any other data rights under California law, please contact us using one of the following methods:
Website: You may visit https://www.hyrecar.com/compliance to authenticate and exercise rights.
Email: You may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to exercise rights. Please include your full name, email address, and phone number associated with your use of the Platform, along with why you are writing, so that we can verify and process your request in a timely manner.
Response Timing and Format. We aim to respond to a consumer request for access or deletion within 45 days of receiving that request. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
6. HOW TO ACCESS, CHANGE, OR DELETE YOUR INFORMATION
7. SECURING YOUR INFORMATION
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, destruction or alteration. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, and no method of storing electronic information, can be 100% secure. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of your transmissions to us and of your information that we store.
8. YOUR PRIVACY WHEN YOU ACCESS THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
HyreCar uses “cookies” in conjunction with the Platform to obtain information. A cookie is a small data file that is transferred to your device (e.g. your phone or your computer) for record keeping purposes. For example, a cookie could allow the Platform to recognize your browser, while another could store your preferences and other information.
Your browser may allow you to set how it handles cookies, such as declining all cookies or prompting you to decide whether to accept each cookie. But please note that some parts of the Platform may not work as intended or may not work at all without cookies. We may also allow our business partners to use their cookies and other tracking technologies on the Platform. As a result, when you access or use the Platform, you will provide or make available certain information to us and to our business partners.
We track your activities if you click on advertisements for HyreCar services on third party platforms such as search engines and social networks, and may use analytics to track what you do in response to those advertisements.
a. HyreCar Cookies
There are two types of cookies used on the Platform, namely “persistent cookies” and “session cookies”. Session cookies will normally expire when you close your browser, while persistent cookies will remain on your device after you close your browser, and can be used again the next time you access the Platform.
b. Other Technologies
The Platform may also use other technologies with similar functionality to cookies, such as web beacons and tracking URLs to obtain Log Data about Users. We may also use web beacons and tracking URLs in our messages to you to determine whether you have opened a certain message or accessed a certain link.
c. Uses for HyreCar Cookies
- to enable, facilitate and streamline the functioning of the Platform across different webpages, devices and browser sessions;
- to provide customer support;
- to conduct analytics, research, and product development;
- to simplify your access to and use of the Platform and make it more seamless;
- to monitor and analyze the performance, operation and effectiveness of the Platform, so that we can improve and optimize it;
- to market and advertise our services to you on the Platform and third party websites; and
- for fraud detection, prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, or investigations.
d. Third Party Cookies
e. Uses for Third Party Cookies
Facebook. In addition, Facebook places a cookie on the Platform that allows Facebook to obtain aggregated information to optimize their services. For example, if a User clicks on an advertisement for the HyreCar mobile app on Facebook and subsequently installs the app, this cookie will inform Facebook that a User (who is not personally identified) has installed the app after clicking on the advertisement. This cookie may also inform Facebook that a User is using the app, without identifying the specific actions taken by the User in the app.
f. Disabling Cookies
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies by visiting the “Help” portion of your browser’s toolbar. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some of the interactive features of the Platform.
10. TELEPHONE CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT (TCPA) CONSENT
Notwithstanding any current or prior election to opt in or opt out of receiving calls or SMS messages (including text messages) from us, our agents, representatives, affiliates, or anyone calling on our behalf, you expressly consent to be contacted by us, our agents, representatives, affiliates, or anyone calling on our behalf for any and all purposes arising out of or relating to your us of the Platform, at any telephone number, or physical or electronic address you provide or at which you may be reached. You agree that we may contact you in any way, including SMS messages or text messages, calls using pre-recorded messages or artificial voice, and calls and messages delivered using auto telephone dialing system or an automatic texting system. Automated messages may be played when the telephone is answered, whether by you or someone else. In the event that an agent or representative calls, he or she may also leave a message on your answering machine, voice mail, or send one via text.
You consent to receive SMS messages (including text messages), calls and messages (including prerecorded and artificial voice and autodialed) from us, our agents, representatives, affiliates or anyone calling on our behalf at the specific number(s) you have provided to us, or numbers we can reasonably associate with your account (through skip trace, caller ID capture or other means), with information or questions about your use of the Platform. You certify, warrant and represent that the telephone numbers that you have provided to us are your contact numbers. You represent that you are permitted to receive calls at each of the telephone numbers you have provided to us. You agree to promptly alert us whenever you stop using a particular telephone number.
Your cellular or mobile telephone provider will charge you according to the type of plan you carry. You also agree that we may contact you by email, using any email address you have provided to us or that you provide to us in the future.
We may listen to and/or record phone calls between you and our representatives without notice to you as permitted by applicable law. For example, we listen to and record calls for training and quality monitoring purposes.
11. CHILDREN'S PRIVACY
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, HyreCar does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to use the Platform. If you are under 13, please do not send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.