How does a Driver cancel an upcoming rental?
Drivers have the ability to cancel a booking request before being approved by an Owner on the mobile app at any time. Once an application has been accepted by an Owner, the Driver must reach out to our support team via chat, phone, or email to process the cancellation. HyreCar support can be reached by calling (888) 688-6769 or connecting with an agent through chat on the app.
The Driver may receive a full, partial, or no refund depending on the circumstance. The total amount refunded will depend on a number of scenarios relating to:
- Who initiated the cancellation
- The circumstance of the cancellation
- When the cancellation request was submitted
In the event that the Owner cancels a rental, the Driver is subject to a full refund. Our team can assist Drivers with booking another vehicle or assist them with a car switch if the rental being canceled is with one of our larger fleets with more available inventory.
- Vehicle no longer needed - Drivers can receive a full refund when a reservation is canceled prior to the day of rental check-in. If a reservation is canceled on the same day as the scheduled check-in, they will be refunded the full amount of the reservation, minus one day’s full rental price. For example if a booking is placed for four days, the total refunded amount will be equivalent to 3 rental days.
- Note: This policy also applies for no-shows. A "no-show" occurs when a driver does not show up for their rental and fails to contact the owner or HyreCar in advance.
- Multiple reservations - On rare occasions a Driver may be approved for multiple cars. In this instance the Driver will need to contact our support team to cancel whichever reservation they do not wish to keep, as drivers are limited to only one active rental at a time.
- Cancellation for poor vehicle condition - Drivers may cancel and receive a full refund if they find upon inspection at check-in that the vehicle:
- Is dirty
- Has more pre-existing damage than indicated in the listing photos
- Is not the same vehicle that was booked or is noted in the rental contract
- Has mechanical issues
Drivers must provide photographic evidence and report the issue to HyreCar no more than 2 hours after the rental start time to receive a full refund. All refunds are subject to normal processing times and may take 2-10 business days once released depending on the bank.
- Extenuating circumstances – HyreCar understands that sometimes things happen, and we are here to help. Drivers are considered to have a qualifying life event for extenuating circumstances such as a death of a loved one, severe illness, hospitalization or a government mandated obligation. In these cases HyreCar will process a full refund, regardless of when the rental is canceled.
- Life events that require documentation
- Death Certificates or Obituaries for a qualifying family member; this includes spouse/partner, child, parent, legal guardian, grandparent, or sibling
- Physician’s statement confirming a serious illness, hospitalization, or injury
- Government Official Notices such as jury duty, court appearances, military deployment, or travel restrictions
- Life Events that do not require documentation
- Natural disasters or severe weather incidents that prevent a Driver from checking in for their rental
- Illnesses or disease as reported by the World Health Organization or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Government, law enforcement, or military restrictions or advisories that impede travel to the check-in location