HyreCar's first priority is to create a safe and secure marketplace for both Drivers and Owners, which is why we require all Drivers to activate their account by completing a background check prior to renting a vehicle.
How long does the background check take?
It should take Drivers no more than 5 minutes to complete in the HyreCar app, and processing results may take up to 1-3 days.
What does the background check entail?
- The background check is done on the profile section of the app (Available in the App Store and Google Playstore), Drivers will need a valid US drivers license, proof of residency, and a social security number.
- Once the application is submitted, Checkr (a secure and industry-trusted third-party provider) will run a motor vehicle record and criminal background check based on the information provided. Applicants will receive a copy of this report by email showing the results of Checkr's findings.
- HyreCar's verification team will review the applicant's basic eligibility requirements and the results of the Checkr report to determine eligibility.
- In certain cases, Drivers may be asked to provide supplemental documentation to further support your eligibility; this would include proof of driving history or proof of residency.
- Applicants will receive an email and/or text from HyreCar to let them know if they qualify.
Requesting a vehicle while the background check is pending
While it may be possible for Drivers to request rentals prior to passing the background check, vehicle owners are not able to view or accept a rental request from an unverified driver. Once a Driver is verified, the request will be live for the Owner to accept, process payment, and initiate check-in.
We understand that renting a car may be time-sensitive, if it has taken longer than 3 days to receive the results of a background check, we encourage Drivers to reach out to HyreCar Support at 888-688-6769.
Where can Drivers complete the background check?
Drivers can only submit the background check on the HyreCar app at this time, it can be downloaded for both iOS and android devices.
Why do Drivers need to complete a background check with HyreCar if they are already approved by Uber and other gig-related services?
HyreCar is a separate entity and does not have access to previous background checks from other companies. We request our own to ensure the safety of all parties.
Troubleshooting taking background check photos in the app
Drivers experiencing issues taking photos during the background check process should:
3. Turn OFF the flash to prevent glares
5. Be patient, the images will be snapped once they come into focus
Note: Drivers submitting the background check on an android device may need to enable camera permissions within the device settings. For persistent issues in the HyreCar app, please contact HyreCar support.
Background check results
Drivers will be emailed the results of the background check, but due to the number of applicants we receive, we can not disclose specific reasons as to why a Driver was approved or denied. Drivers that feel they were rejected in error are welcome to reach out to HyreCar support for a second look. Please refer to our Driver Eligibility Requirements for more detailed Driver criteria.